Wednesday, 24 September 2014
· An evening school for older people from the same area.
· Socio-economic Research conducted during August-September, 2013 emphasis on a need to create awareness about side effects of addictions in the all age groups. Vardhishnu is planning to start an awareness campaign against side effects of addiction.
· Library and Computer Training Centre.
· Vardhishnu is planning to start a regular weekly/biweekly health check-up camps for the waste pickers with the help of local doctors.
· Study of school dropout rates of Municipal Corporations schools running in slums and try to enroll drop-out students as well as uneducated children in to the schools.
· Vardhishnu doesn’t believe in creating a parallel system. We rather believe in making the current system stronger and better. Thus, after looking at the success of this evening school we shall collaborate with the educational authority of Jalgaon Municipal Corporation and propose to them to allow us to work with the Municipal School in Tambapura for next academic year starting from June, 2015. We plan to take advantage of RTE and influence admitting these children in mainstream schools. Volunteers of Vardhishnu will work together with the staff of municipal school and try to solve the problems faced by them to run the school smoothly. We will also try to increase the standard of education given at this school. Vardhishnu’s evening learning centre will keep running for the children not going to school.
· After looking at the success of the evening learning we will replicate the same model and start the evening learning centre school for the waste pickers living in other parts of the city.
a. Evening Learning Centre:
Waste pickers aging between 6 to 70 roam around the city early in the mornings as well as late at night, collect garbage and sell that garbage to few buyers in the city who process it and sell it to the different industries at a high cost. The people who collect the garbage get very negligible amount besides tireless work and unending efforts in extremely unhygienic circumstances.
In August-September 2013, we undertook a socio-economic survey of waste pickers working in the Jalgaon city. Finding of these survey were rather deplorable. It emphasized the need to work on 3 important aspects of human life i.e. Education, Health and Addiction.
Since, we believe that lack of education is the root cause of maximum problems, So the very first issue we took we took on priority is of education. Educational status of children working as waste pickers is very poor. During our research we found that timing of schools is the major reason behind not going to school and that’s why we decided to start an evening school for the children working as waste pickers in Tambapura area where majority of waste pickers reside. We believe that running a parallel system is certainly not a solution on this problem so in this evening centre we focus on value-based education and experimentation to understand basic concepts of science and mathematics.
At the end of our research, we conducted several meetings with the children and their parents in Tambapura area. It took some time & efforts for us to gather their confidence and establish rapport with them. Evening school started on 2nd January, 2014. As of today, 35 children between age 6 to 16 attend the evening school regularly. These are either waste pickers or the children of waste pickers and people working in unorganized sector. Some of these children attend day schools while some others are either school dropouts or never went to a school. However the scholastic level of children going to school and those who never went to school is not any different. Most of them do not know how to read or write and those who do, have very poor handwriting and much poorer grammatical constructs.
Objectives of the evening school:
The main objectives of this evening school are as follows:
Ø To create awareness about the importance of education in life.
Ø To help children to learn, understand and read basic alphabets and numbers.
Ø To improve their scholastic level.
Ø To encourage maximum children to attend the day school regularly.
Ø To help them to understand basic concepts of science and mathematics with the help of experimentation.
Ø To gradually create awareness about hygiene and side effects of addiction.
b. Maharashtra Social Olympiad:
Maharashtra Social Olympiad (MSO) is an initiative started by Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited and Nirman in 2013. It strive to develop an education model which will help to complete the missing piece of education i.e. character education. It facilitates the platform to, opportunities, guidance and appreciation for student group activities which expose them to various societal challenges. Enrolled teams lean to identify social challenges and needs and try to address them by themselves through real life action which gives them real insights about current scenario and reality of our society.
We have also enrolled our team of students and undertaking various activities
Vardhishnu aims to work on specific social issues through empirical study / research and implementation based on findings. We believe in presenting statistical figures came out of proper study / research rather than presenting hypothesis. Organization functions within the purview of Constitution of India, striving to achieve Equality, Fraternity and Justice in a peaceful and constructive manner.
· To introduce, implement and support research based issue solving related to society.
· To reach out to the people living at the bottom of the society and give them a fair chance to take control of their own life.
· To spread awareness regarding various social issues through different mediums.
· To support the attainment of sustainable human development goals.
· To promote the equal rights of women, girls and to support their full participation in the political, social and economic development.
· To spread awareness of education and science.
To achieve the world where equivalence, transparency and effectiveness are the norms in socio-economical, cultural governance and decision making as well.
Our mission is to support and strengthen peoples’ action for achieving sustainable development through research, awareness campaigns, workshops, trainings and exposure, networking and advocacy and supporting in effective implementation.